Nana’s Spicy Breakfast Casserole is a partnered both with Acorn Influence and their client. #GoldrichYolk All opinions, and experiences are Keeping Up With The Rheinlander’s own.
Nana’s Spicy Breakfast Casserole has become a Christmas morning tradition for the Rheinlanders! It takes some time to make but is SOOOO worth it. We love spicy foods in our family so this is the perfect breakfast for us! Plus a Hangry Rheinlander is not a pretty site (anyone else have this problem??)
- 6 - 8 poblano chile peppers
- 10 corn tortillas quartered
- 8oz bag of shredded Jalapeno Jack
- 8oz bag of shredded Sharp Cheddar
- 1lb of HOT sausage
- 1lb of regular sausage
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- ½ cup chopped white onion (or preferred onion)
- ¾ cup chopped bell peppers (We prefer a medley of red, yellow and green)
- ½ cup chopped green onion (green part only)
- ½ cup of chopped Cilantro (stems removed, leaves chopped)
- 1 !/2 Tbsp. of minced Garlic
- 1½ Tbsp. Chili Powder
- ½Tsp. Salt
- ½Tsp. Black Pepper
- 12 Large Eggs (We used Goldrich)
- 3 cups Half & Half
- 1-2 Tsp. Tabasco Sauce depending on how spicy you like it. (or red pepper sauce of choice)
- Pam Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage over medium-high heat, stirring to break up the meat, cooking thoroughly. Add the onions and bell peppers, and cook, stirring, for about 3 -5 minutes. Add the garlic and chili powder, mix well stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl wisk the eggs, Tabasco, salt, pepper, and half & half.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cilantro, green onions, jack, and cheddar mix well.
- Place Poblano peppers on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven at 400' for 15 minutes (flipping half way through). Take out of the oven once they start to bubble and let rest until cool enough to handle, about 10 - 15 minutes. Peel the peppers and split in half removing the seeds and stem.
- Spray a 9x13 baking pan (we use a disposable one - it is deeper than the average casserole dish). Layer the peppers on the bottom, then alternate the following layers using about ⅓ of each - sausage mixture, tortillas, and then the cheese mixture - repeat the layering until the ingredients are gone ending with the cheese layer. Pour the egg mixture over all the ingredients.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for about 75 minutes until golden brown. To ensure it is fully cooked insert a knife checking to see if it comes out "clean"
- Garnish with preferred toppings - Salsa, and/or sour cream.
The mixture of all the ingredients plus the added salsa and sour cream make this casserole mouth watering!
If you try Nana’s recipe let us know how you liked it 🙂
Do you have a favorite dish with eggs? Are you a yolk person?
Disclosure: Nana’s Spicy Breakfast Casserole recipe is a partnered both with Acorn Influence and their client. All opinions, and experiences are Keeping Up With The Rheinlander’s own.